Aside from the given need for a website, business cards and signage, there are many uncertainties when it comes to law firm marketing. Here are some of the issues we hear about most frequently from our clients:
- “We don’t have a common mission, vision or purpose tying us together. Direction has always been set at the area of practice or individual lawyer level.”
- “Consistency is lacking in our messaging and graphics.”
- “From logo to website development, social media, direct marketing and networking, there are so many options that we just don’t know where to focus our time and energy.”
- “We haven’t seen much in the way of return on our efforts to date, so we’re wondering if it’s even a good use of our time.”
- “Everyone says they’re going to blog, tweet, speak or get published… but after a few attempts, it usually gets pushed to the back burner.”
- “We don’t want anything out there that isn’t up to our standards and, when it comes to marketing, we’re not sure how to manage quality.”
Most law firms spend considerable time and money on their marketing just trying to keep up with other firms. And, although the need to be current and visible is real, there’s usually a better way. If your firm is experiencing any of these scenarios, it may be time for some planning.
The value of a marketing plan to a law firm:
Aside from the obvious benefits – a strategic approach to pursue your practice development goals and a solid business case to justify your budget – a marketing plan can also have other positive, unintended consequences critical to a law firm’s success. It can be the first and most decisive step towards developing a meaningful mission and vision for the firm. As well, a marketing plan that accounts for the individual interests and talents of participants can tap into the motivation that’s critical for implementation.
Despite the value of a marketing plan, it’s equally important to stay nimble and responsive, to reassess and adjust on a regular basis. The right balance between formal planning and entrepreneurial spirit is key to minimizing risk and maximizing opportunity.
Marketing and management for law firms:
To discuss how we can work together to build and enhance your law firm, contact us for an initial consultation, in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) or via web conference anywhere in Canada.